The Travelodge Aussie Spirit final team has been named to battle for the final spot in Tokyo 2020 at the WBSC Asia/Oceania Olympic Qualifier 24-28 September in Shanghai, China.
An initial squad of 20 was selected and sent to Japan for a number of games against local teams before the final 15 were selected to compete against China, Chinese Taipei, New Zealand, Korea, Hong Kong, Indonesia and the Philippines.
Two-time Olympic medalist and Australia’s most capped player Stacey Porter has been named Captain of the team with South Australian Belinda White named Vice Captain.
The final team includes:
- Michelle Cox
- Chelsea Forkin
- Leigh Godfrey
- Rachel Lack
- Stacey McManus
- Kaia Parnaby
- Leah Parry
- Gabbie Plain
- Stacey Porter (C)
- Carmelle Sorensen
- Tarni Stepto
- Taylah Tsitsikronis
- Jade Wall
- Clare Warwick
- Belinda White (VC)
Australia will play three games over three days in an attempt to finish in the top two of their group before the Super Rounds begin on Friday 27 and Saturday 28 September.
The Travelodge Aussie Spirit will arrive in Shanghai on Saturday 21 September.
WBSC Asia/Oceania Olympic Qualifier schedule
Game times listed in AEDT
- Tuesday 24 September, 2:30pm – Australia V Chinese Taipei
- Wednesday 25 September, 2:30pm – Australia V Indonesia
- Thursday 26 September, 7:30pm – Australia V Hong Kong
- Friday 27 September, 5:00pm – B1 V A2
- Friday 27 September, 7:30pm – A1 V B2
- Saturday 28 September, 5:00pm – A2 V B2
- Saturday 29 September, 7:30pm – A1 V B1